Eliza and Lourana Gooch

The heart wrenching question of "What happened to Betty and the children she had with William Gooch?" haunted me.  So, I continued to search for Betty and her children in the available records.  When I came across the 1856 will of Dr. Andrew C. Atkinson of Hanover County (source: Hanover County Virginia Will Book CC with Inventories Accounts, etc. 1852 - 1865 page 225), I had hope that they had survived and were still a familyIn his will, Atkinson mentioned "...slaves emancipated by me" with the names of "Luereyney Gooch, James N. Gooch, and James Gooch".  Although these names were not mentioned in Betty's court case, the fact that slaves with the surname of Gooch were living in Hanover County was a luring, magnetic clue.  A transcription of Atkinson's will, written 21 years after Betty originally filed suit in 1835, follows.


 I, Andrew C. Atkinson of the County of Hanover and State of Virginia being of sound mind and disposing memory do make this memo as my wish in the event of my decease before I can make a further will.  I desire that after my death all my just debts be paid.  I free and desire my executors whom I shall hereafter name to carry my wish into execution Luereyney Gooch, James N. Gooch, and James Gooch the residue of my real and personal estate.  I desire my executors Capt Benj. Hazelgrove and James R. Ratcliff sell and invest it for the benefit of the above named slaves emancipated by me.  Under this may well in the event of my decease before I shall make other arrangements as witness my hand and seal this 20th day of June 1856. 
Test.
John S. Chesterman                                                            Andrew C. Atkinson (seal)
                 his
Robert F.  X  Barrett
                mark
Jackson Crouch

Atkinson must have known he was deathly ill at the writing of his desires in the above "memo" (memorandum).  Five months later, the will was presented by one of his executors, James R. Ratcliff, at the Hanover County monthly sessions court held on November 27, 1856.  The legality of the will was challenged by Atkinson's brother, Spotswood S. Atkinson.  However, the court heard testimony from John S. Chesterman and Robert F. Barrett, both witnesses to the writing of the will, and held that the will was valid.

The will stated that Atkinson desired to emancipate "Leureney Gooch, James N. Gooch, and James Gooch" from slavery.  And to provide for their survival, Atkinson charged his executors, Captain Benjamin Hazelgrove and James R. Ratcliff to sell his real and personal property upon his death and invest it "for the benefit of the above named slaves".  

At the time of Dr. Andrew C. Atkinson's death, he was living at his home known as Mayfield.  Below is a portion of a survey which was part of the 1855-06 Hanover County Chancery Court case courtesy of the Virginia Memory:Chancery Records website,  The survey was drawn one year before Atkinson died and the area of this survey was known as "Meadow Bridge".  I've added typed name entries for ease of reading.


Since this was Dr. Andrew C. Atkinson's neighborhood in 1855, I thought to check the 1850 census to see if Dr. Atkinson was living in this area at that time.  Below is a clipping of the 1850 census page for A. C. Atkinson.  A quick look at the surnames on the  page (White, Crenshaw, Portaina) confirmed that this was indeed the same neighborhood as the above survey.  Then I took a closer look at each of the entries on the census page.  Low and behold!  Listed between the Portiana and Crenshaw households was Eliza and Lourana Gooch!  Identified as mulattoes, Eliza and Lourana were living in the Meadow Bridge neighborhood near Dr. A. C. Atkinson's Mayfield home.  The age difference between Eliza and Lourana was about 17 years making it possible for Eliza to be Lourana's mother. 


But the greatest and most important clue from this census entry was the name ELIZA GOOCH.  Among the many court records regarding Betty's fight for her and her children's freedom, was the 1842 Hanover County, Virginia Common Law Order Books entry listing the names of two of Betty's children; Lucy and ELIZA.
William Gooch and Betty's children did live on in Hanover County, bearing the surname of Gooch.  And Dr. Andrew Carter Atkinson was able to emancipate their presumed granddaughter, Leureney,  before the Civil War.  But who were the other two Gooches listed in Atkinson's will; James N. Gooch and James Gooch?  This question is fodder for another entry on another day.

copyright©2018 Deborah Thurman Parks

Popular Posts